I am currently an Associate Professor of Physics at the University of Alaska Fairbanks. In addition to teaching, I conduct research in Space Physics and Aeronomy, using both ground based optical instrumentation and sounding rockets. I started fooling around with photography as a hobby many years ago, as an outgrowth of my interests in optics, astronomy, and the outdoors. Although I have been living in Alaska since 1993, I am an Australian by birth. Prior to coming here, I worked for The Australian Antarctic Division and at the La Trobe University Physics Department.
For those who are wondering, "Zubenelgenubi" is the second brightest star in the constellation Libra. It is actually a quintuple star system, whose two most massive members are each significantly brighter and hotter than our own Sun. Furthermore, both are in turn themselves unresolved spectroscopic binaries. Distance to the system is around 77 light years (24 pc). How nerdy is that?
Questions or comments about these photos can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 19 November, 2016
- Added 13 photos to Events > Stargazing Party Fall 2016
- 16 October, 2016
- Added 5 photos to KnollCabin > Moonrise Over Fairbanks
- 18 September, 2016
- Added 5 photos to MostlyLandscapes 1 > DarkMOFOLight
- 10 September, 2016
- Added 3 photos to MostlyLandscapes 1 > SevenMileBeach
- Added 1 photo to KnollCabin > Knollsangorillasinthemist
- 5 September, 2016
- Added 3 photos to KnollCabin > Knollsangorillasinthemist
- 3 September, 2016
- Added 1 photo to MostlyLandscapes 1 > MontagueBay
- 23 August, 2016
- Added 29 photos to MostlyPeople > Cape Deslacs Walk 2016
- 22 August, 2016
- Added 8 photos to MostlyLandscapes 1 > Tinderbox 2016
- 16 August, 2016
- Added 1 photo to MostlyLandscapes 1 > Older Stuff > RochesBeach
- 13 August, 2016
- Added 17 photos to Nature > Botanical Gardens 2016