I am currently an Associate Professor of Physics at the University of Alaska Fairbanks. In addition to teaching, I conduct research in Space Physics and Aeronomy, using both ground based optical instrumentation and sounding rockets. I started fooling around with photography as a hobby many years ago, as an outgrowth of my interests in optics, astronomy, and the outdoors. Although I have been living in Alaska since 1993, I am an Australian by birth. Prior to coming here, I worked for The Australian Antarctic Division and at the La Trobe University Physics Department.
For those who are wondering, "Zubenelgenubi" is the second brightest star in the constellation Libra. It is actually a quintuple star system, whose two most massive members are each significantly brighter and hotter than our own Sun. Furthermore, both are in turn themselves unresolved spectroscopic binaries. Distance to the system is around 77 light years (24 pc). How nerdy is that?
Questions or comments about these photos can be sent to email@example.com.
- 28 June, 2019
- Added 11 photos to Excursions > Australia > Cygnet2019
- 24 June, 2019
- Added 19 photos to Events > Footy 2019
- 15 June, 2019
- Added 17 photos to Excursions > Australia > White Star 2019
- Added 1 photo to Excursions > Australia > Golden Haze
- 8 June, 2019
- Added 17 photos to Excursions > Australia > Golden Haze
- 6 December, 2018
- Added 26 photos to KnollCabin > Falling Water Glass
- Added 21 photos to KnollCabin > Nikileaks
- 5 October, 2018
- Added 35 photos to Nature > Fall in Fairbanks
- 24 September, 2018
- Added 8 photos to Nature > Flowers Raspberries
- 2 September, 2018
- Added 15 photos to Excursions > Australia > Bicheno 2018
- 31 August, 2018
- Added 9 photos to Excursions > USA > Vancouver